This year, the goal of AED’s shadowing initiative is not necessarily to individually provide students with shadowing opportunities, but to prepare each individual student in such a way that he or she can obtain meaningful shadowing experiences on his/her own. The AED officers believe the skills needed to obtain shadowing opportunities on your own as well as the initiative to do so play an integral part in becoming a successful medical school applicant and are here to help. Please see links and opportunities below!
If you have specific questions, feel free to email Patrick Steadman (firstname.lastname@example.org), Savannah Johnson (email@example.com), Jared Halstrom (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Nikhi Singh (email@example.com).
- To gain shadowing experience through AED, we ask you to fill out the application linked below and complete the HIPAA training to be turned into the front desk at Clark 200 or emailed to any of the shadowing officers. We will then attempt to find your shadowing placement in a timely manner.
• Shadowing Workshop: We will have a shadowing workshop on (Date TBA) where we will address proper email etiquette, proper attire, and the overall do’s and don’ts of shadowing. At this workshop, we will also have a student panel of upperclassmen eager to share some of their shadowing experiences and how they went about obtaining such shadowing experiences. All freshman and sophomores should most definitely attend!
• USOM Shadowing Program: AED cannot provide individual shadowing opportunities for every AED member. Again, our goal is to prepare each student so that he or she can obtain shadowing experiences on his or her own. However, the University of Alabama School of Medicine has agreed to provide shadowing positions for priority students. If you are interested in shadowing at the USOM, please fill out the following application and complete the following HIPPA training.
• How to Obtain Shadowing Experience: Obtaining meaningful shadowing experiences is not as easy as it may seem. A lot of students are eager to shadow, but have no idea how to go about it and those that do know are often intimidated to follow through. However, we are here to help you gain the insight and confidence needed to seek shadowing opportunities and have prepared a PowerPoint with helpful tips below:
• Other Helpful Links/Opportunities: